Thursday, March 15, 2007

Homemade Lemon aid

for the rest of today post click here

I am sipping on homemade lemon aid right now. I love that stuff. Bear doesn't like it and neither does mouse. I think there taste buds are just to messed up from all of the cool aid they have drank over the years. Here is my recipe for homemade lemon aid.

1 cup of sugar
1 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of boiling water
enough cold water to fill the jug

I use a standard container for this. The same kind people mix up kool aid and such in. Guess it holds a gallon or so. Put the sugar in the container and the boiling water. This is to melt the sugar. When the sugar is melted go ahead and add the lemon juice and cold water. I use this same recipe to make lime aid. Martha Stewart has a version of strawberry lemon aid that I would love to try. I never got enough strawberries last year to try it. I tried a minted lemon aid recipe she had and used my own home grown mint, but I could never really taste the mint in the lemon aid. I have that problem when making minted syrups too.

Mint is one of the many plants that I plan on planting on the living roof of our earth bag dome. I have 4 different types and hope to collect more as time passes. My favorite is pineapple mint because the leaves of this mint are slightly fuzzy and blotched with shades of yellow and white and green. It grows slower and is less hardy than other types also. The kids prefer the chocolate mint because it smells like chocolate mint ice cream. I planted some spearmint from seed last year and the smell is nothing like what you would expect. I thought it might smell like spearmint gum, but its not, its an almost floral smelling mint. I want to get my hands on some peppermint seeds at some point.

I started some more pepper seeds yesterday along with some basil and some cucumbers. I haven't been able to remember to go to the Wal-Mart gardening center while I am there and get the lemon Cucumber seeds I need. I am sooo addicted to lemon Cucumbers. They are so much better than the regular ones.

I planted regular cucumbers this year because Martha Stewart did a thing in her magazine with them last year. She carved out the seeds in the middle and used them to make Saki Cups. I would love to try that sometime this summer since my husband loves Saki.

2 Comments:

Blogger Autumn said...

I love home made lemon aid. I make mine using real lemons. I have cut them in half and use a old fashion hand juicer to squeeze the juice out. I pour that into my container add sugar, water and ice..
I can drink an entire container full by myself. Yummy

8:42 PM  
Blogger dragonfly183 said...

I've never used real lemons. i would like to, but it would cost me more than buying lemon juice. I can drink an entire container all by myself to.

11:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
OfficeMax Coupon