Friday, March 30, 2007

My garden

I love creeping phlox
Seedlings. I don't have as many as I usually do. These are all annual herbs and vegetables. I haven't done any flowers this time. I probably should. I have a huge bag of mixed sunflower seeds I need to do something with.
Last weekend we went down to the pet store and bought 4 Koi. The fish in my pond have been goldfish up until this point. I had Koi to begin with but I managed to kill them all while trying to get all the leaks in the pond plugged. The fold fish are going on there 3rd year in the pond and we were down to 6 of them from the original 14. Since we never found there bodies I am assuming that predators got them. We haven't really been cleaning our pond that well and a build up of silt and leaves in the bottom made it much shallower than its two foot depth and made it easier for predators to get to them. Its hard to get them to come to the surface and because my pond is fed with runoff water its never completely clear so its hard to get a good picture. But there is an orange and black one. A white one with orange and black speckles, a yellow one, and a blue one with black stripe like spots on its back. I would like to get one that's known as a platinum one one of these days. Its a Koi that's silvery white in color.
A genetic mutation maybe? This creamy white hosta is not supposed to be this color. I've heard of this happening to plants that have striated leaves like this. The white coloring in the leaves is a genetic mutation in its self (in any plant) so when your growing one that has white in its leaves its not uncommon to occasionally have one appear that completely white like this. They tend to be more delicate than a plant with more green in its leaves. I also grow pineapple mint that has white splotches on its leaves and every now and then I will get a stalk that's completely white.
I love hostas
I love my pond
I love creeping phlox growing over or between rocks.
I love my great big rock garden.
This is my pride and joy and was found wild on the back of our property. Sorry about it being sideways. I did turn it around before I uploaded it. This is a rare species of honeysuckle called a grape Honeysuckle because the vines grow a lot like grapevines verses typical honeysuckles. also known as Lonicera flava. This little beauty is growing on a cherry tree sapling near our building site. in spring we are graced with these beautiful yellow flowers which fade by summer. When the weather begins to cool the the days shorten the plant creates bright orange berries as vivid in color as these lovely yellow flowers. As the plants leaves turn and fall away those berries turn red and stay on the plant all winter long.

5 Comments:

Blogger Oh, The Joys said...

I am all fingers in the garden.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Jim said...

Very cool, and beautiful! My wife would love it, she loves to garden but we're in the middle of downtown so she has little room to do it. Like the lounging cats, they seem to like it too. Anyway, on a side note, do you know if I "reply" or "comment" on lets say one of your comments on my blog, do you know that I have?

10:25 AM  
Blogger Ryan said...

Wow, that is an excellent yard!!

Beautiful, and now I'm jealous. That must have taken a long time to put together?

12:46 PM  
Blogger dragonfly183 said...

4 years and counting. Every single rock you see was put into place by hand. The pond was dug by hand. Were sunk 6 feet into the mountainside anyway so when we started to dig the pond we hit nothing but rock which we pickaxed our way through. In the end I sat in the middle of it with a trowel and just scraped up layer after layer of hard packed clay and soft crumbly rock.

6:38 AM  
Blogger dragonfly183 said...

And were still not done. The dry dream bed needs to be about 10 feet longer and needs more river rock and we have about 6 feet of retaining wall left also.

6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

Web Counter
OfficeMax Coupon